Sussex Gourmand thins are the perfect base for tasty canapés and snacks. Hand-crafted super-thin, with organic butter and a blend of three organic flours, including wholegrain, their unique triangular shape makes creating attractive low-carb snacks and canapés a doddle. They’re full of flavour, yet subtle enough to let the topping shine.
Our forest mushroom thins were created for our forest canapes – lovely earthy flavours to reflect the landscape where deer roam, but they go well with so many toppings, including:
- Truffle Ewe and quince paste or membrillo – a wonderful cheese from High Weald Dairy – it features in our Taste of Sussex hamper. The sweetness and flavour of the quince is a perfect match for this delicious sheep’s milk cheese.
- Our super tasty venison bresaola, with creamy horseradish sauce or celeriac remoulade.
- A slice of goats cheese – you can’t do better than Sussex’s own Golden Cross – and a piece of roasted pepper, or red pepper relish.
- Celeriac remoulade, sprinkled with beetroot powder. To make celeriac remoulade, simply finely grate celeriac and add a few large tablespoons of mayonnaise; a tablespoon of crème fraiche or yoghurt and a couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard, with salt and pepper. You can buy beetroot powder at most health food shops.
- A dab of creamy horseradish sauce and a slice of smoked duck or smoked venison.
- A generous spread of cream cheese and a chunk of pickled beetroot.
- Chicken liver pate (or any other) and a parsley leaf to make it pretty.
- Pork or rabbit rillettes, with a cube of pickled cucumber to balance off the fat. To pickle cucumber, cut out the seeds, slice into a small dice and soak in mirin for 15 mins.
- A slice of Roquefort (or Brighton Blue from High Weald Dairy if you want to stay true to Sussex), topped with half a candied walnut – to candy 100g of walnut halves, roast them in the oven on a baking tray at 180 degrees C; put 50g sugar in a thick-bottomed pan and cook until melted and just turning golden, then add the walnuts and quickly stir together, before placing each half separately on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment. Finally sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- With a generous slice of Sussex brie with truffles from Allsop & Walker
You can buy all the Sussex cheeses mentioned at most good Brighton delis.