Sussex Gourmand thins are the perfect base for tasty, low-carb canapés and snacks. Hand-crafted super-thin, with organic butter and a blend of three organic flours, including wholegrain, their unique triangular shape makes creating attractive canapés a doddle. They’re full of flavour, yet subtle enough to let the topping shine.
Our parmesan & nigella thins were created for our field canapés , to reinvent the way the Italians eat beef bresaola as an elegant bite, but they’re such a versatile base for anything and they also work really well with cheese. Here are some of my favourite toppings:
- With beef bresaola and fresh pesto – wild rocket pesto works best, with twice the amount of parmesan you’d usually use and no nuts. You can buy our beef bresaola online.
- Topped with half a quails egg, a squiggle of piped mayonnaise and a sprinkle of paprika.
- With a piped star of hummous, topped with micro leaves or fresh coriander…. If you live in Brighton, you can’t do better than Smorl’s garlic hummous.
- Topped with a slice of smoked chicken and a blob or piped squiggle of lemon mayonnaise.
- With any bean puree or paté, like broad bean paté, topped with freshly chopped parsley and chives.
- Simply spread thick with olive tapenade.
- Topped with a sun-blushed tomato, a mozzarella pearl (if the mozzarella pearl is big, slice it in half) and a fresh basil leaf.
- With a slice of feta, a roasted cherry tomato and half a black olive.
- Spread with a herby cream cheese like Boursin and, a twisted strand of serrano ham, parma ham or prosciutto. Top with a slice of fig, or half a grape too if you wish.
- Topped with chargrilled red pepper paste, an anchovy fillet, an olive slice and a couple of salted capers.
If you’re hosting a party, why not give our canapé kits a whirl?
We hope you enjoy our parmesan & nigella thins as much as we enjoyed making them. Thank you for buying a Sussex Gourmand product.